“To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.””
John 8:31-32 NIV
Jesus tells us that if we hold on to his Word then we will really be his disciples which means we will really get to know the Truth — Jesus Christ! And the Truth, Jesus Christ, sets us free! Holding on to his Word is essential to being free! This is exactly what we are learning about in our small groups with our new church-wide study, Emotionally Healthy Spirituality. Author Peter Scazzero said, “It is impossible to be spiritually mature if we are emotionally immature”. This week, we learned 10 telltale signs of emotionally immaturity in our own lives. Furthermore, we learned that we need to intentionally slow down in order to learn how to lead a more contemplative life. That’s what the “Day By Day” devotionals are meant to help us with. It leads us in taking a couple of minutes to sit in silence in order to focus on God, read a brief Scripture verse and meditation, a small prayer, and another moment of silence. I strongly recommend everyone to purchase theirs soon!
My wish is for every one of you to experience the joy and challenge of starting this study! The joy of knowing that God desires to heal me and free, regardless of how much or how little time I’ve been a Christian. The challenge of genuinely recognizing and accepting my emotional problems with the purpose of achieving the health and life God wants for me is just overwhelming. If you have no had the opportunity to assist any of the different groups throughout the week, i urge you to do the impossible to attend one this week. Here is a schedule of study groups going on throughout the week:
- Spanish | 630PM | Southside Wichita led by Felix Ordoñez | 3420 S. Osage Ave |316-516-5011
- English | 630PM | Fellowship Hall | Young adult group | led by Dalia Vargas/Pastor Andy | 316-832-5616
- Bilingual | 630PM | North Wichita | led by Todd and Cheryl Hunter | 311 N. Dowell | 316-619-4096
- English | 7PM | South East Wichita | led by Tim and Nelly Bertrand | 1770 S Rock Road #1711 | 832-692-0028
- Spanish | 7PM | South East Wichita | led by Carmen A./Janeth F. | 7603 E. Indianapolis St | 316-682-0309
- English (but if you need an interpreter, please let me know at 316-304-4648 and we will provide one for you) | 4PM | Fellowship Hall | led by Pastor Andy | 316-832-5616
- Alabaster Box: Please don’t forget to bring your alabaster box tomorrow, February 24th!
- Wedding Shower: for Crystal and Isaac, Saturday March 2nd at 11AM in the Fellowship Hall. We will be serving brunch, and there will be a sign up sheet tomorrow morning at the entrance for anyone that would like to participate in making food.
- Time Change: Sunday the 10th of March at 2AM we will have to set our clocks one hour forward!
- Enchiladas: We want to first thank everyone for understanding the postponement of the fundraiser. The new date is still to be determined. Thank you for your contribution and willingness to support the youth group!
- Fasting: We believe that fasting is a powerful tool that God has left to the believer who humbles himself and recognizes that only He can perform a miracle. As a church we are united in fasting with the following purposes:
1- So that through the study of Emotionally Healthy Spirituality each one of us can experience emotional healing to reach spiritual maturity.
2- To prepare for Easter. Lent-meditation time on Christ's suffering for our salvation-begins on Wednesday, March 6 and concludes on the day of resurrection on Sunday, April 21.
3- A revival in my life, in my family, in my congregation and our nation.
- Prayer for one another- I strongly encourage you to keep in your prayers our brothers and sisters, but also to reach out to them by calling or visiting them.
-Sister Vera’s hearth test result.
-Sister Elaine Hunter is in the hospital at St. Joseph- room 556.
-Pastor Andy Shimko- recovery from Knee surgery
-Sister Phyllis- recovery from hip surgery- she is now at the Catholic Care Center- 6550 E 45th St. n. Bel Aire. KS 67226- Whispering Brook neighborhood room #200.
-Ochoa Children’s mother-Laura- is in Mexico waiting for her documents.
Post a Comment