Dear Eastridge Family,
Scripture gives us many reasons why God came down from heaven to be born as a baby, live among us, suffer, die, rise from the dead and ascend back to heaven. One of my favorite books to read at this time of year is titled, "The Passion of Jesus Christ - Fifty Reasons Why He Came to Die" by John Piper. In this short but powerful book Piper lists from Scripture fifty separate reasons for Christ's life, suffering, death and resurrection, reminding us of the many reasons we have to honor, worship and glorify Christ.
When asked, "Why did Jesus suffer and die?" most Christians will typically answer, "To save us," "Because He loved us," "To show His love for us," or "To give us eternal life." These responses are all true and correct. However, there are many other beautifully significant and holy things that Christ came to accomplish in His suffering, death and resurrection. Here are just a few:
- To cancel the demands of the law against us (Col. 2:13)
- To please His Heavenly Father (Is. 53:10)
- To make us holy, blameless and perfect (Heb. 10:14 & Col. 1:22)
- To demonstrate God's justice and righteousness (Rom. 3:25)
- To experience God's wrath toward sin for us (1 Jn. 4:10)
- To learn obedience and be perfected (Heb. 2:10 & 5:8)
- To put an end to the Old Testament priesthood and became our eternal High Priest (Heb. 7:23-27)
This holy week (and all year long), spend time reading the gospel accounts of Christ's suffering, death and resurrection. Read in the letters of Paul, Peter, 1 John and the book of Hebrews what Jesus accomplished for us, for Himself and for the Father. Allow the Holy Spirit to lead you to worship Christ for "The works of His hands are faithful and just..."
"Give to the LORD the glory due His name; worship the LORD in the splendor of His holiness."
Good Friday Service - This Friday, March 30 at 6:00 pm.
Easter Breakfast, Resurrection Celebration Service and Egg Hunt - Easter is this Sunday, April 1.
There will be a small Continental Breakfast from 9:00 am to 9:45 am. Our Resurrection Celebration Service will begin at 10:00 am followed by the children's Easter Egg Hunt.
· Church Board Meeting - Sunday, April 8, in the Fellowship Hall.
· Youth Fund Raiser - Papusas Sale - Saturday, April 14
The youth will be selling PAPUSAS to raise money to send our students to church camp this summer!! To order your papusas, contact Crystal Marmol, Emily Cruz or pastor Rick BEFORE April 11.
· Puentes Concert - Saturday, April 14, 6:00 pm at Eastridge
MidAmerica Nazarene University's Hispanic praise band will be here for a concert and Sunday morning worship. Olga Vargas is part of this group. Come worship with us & support MNU & Olga.
· Alpha Series Begins - Saturday, April 22
· Shepherding Visits
If you haven't had an opportunity to have one of the pastors come to your home to meet and pray with your family, please sign-up to let them know when would be the best time for the “Shepherd Visit.” Sign-ups sheets & a list of the shepherding questions are found on the information table in the entry way.